Rear house extension the ultimate guide London
In London and Hertfordshire areas the most popular method of gaining more space would be to add a rear house extension making the house more spacious to accommodate a bigger social area, larger kitchen, open kitchen and dinner areas, another reception area or under stair WC, rear extensions would give that extra space you always wanted.
Rear house extensions cost from £45,000.00
What is a rear house extension?
Rear house extension is an additional build extending from rear of your property, an addition to the back of the house. Rear house extension would come in single storey or two storey rear house extensions.Rear house extensions would also come in different types of elevation finishing and roof finishing styles such as flat roof rear house extension, pitched roof rear house extension or gable roof rear house extension.
Most common rear house extensions include:
Single storey rear house extension
Two storey rear house extension
Sidereturn house extension
Wraparound house extension
Basement rear house extensions
Why would you build a rear house extension?
Rear house extensions are easy to obtain on planning and if the rear house extension falls under permitted development rights you could just go ahead and build given you have completed all the design phases requirements that Nuhous sets out:
Large area of space - at rear of the property you will be adding a clean large box meaning no corridors or hallways or rooms in the way like from front extensions or side extensions.
Wasted space gets put to good use - many gardens have unused space why not add the extension and extend the patio further out so that you don't have unused space in your back yard
Rear house extensions are usually hidden - little or no visual effect would work well on planning decisions
Will i need planning permission for my rear house extension?
An extension or addition to your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, provided certain limits and conditions are met. If you own a ground floor flat then planning permission would be required.
1. On designated land* - no cladding of the exterior. *Designated land (Article 2(3)) includes national parks
and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.
2. On designated land* - no side extensions. Rear extension - No permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey. The regime for larger single-storey rear extensions
3. No more than half the area of land around the “original house”* would be covered by additions or
other buildings. Sheds and other outbuildings must be included when calculating the 50 per cent limit. The term ‘original house’ means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.
4. No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
5. Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
6. Side extensions to be single storey. Width of side extension must not have a width greater than half the width of the original house.
7. Side extensions to have a maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
8. If the extension is within 2m of a boundary, maximum eaves height should be no higher than 3m to be permitted development.
9. Single-storey rear extensions must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than 4m if a detached house; or more than 3m for any other house.
10. Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of 4m.
11. Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
Is my house suitable for rear house extension
Technically any house that has rear garden would be able to have rear house extension built.
How much does rear house extension cost in London and Hertfordshire areas?
The simple answer to question how much does 3 meter deep and 5 meter wide rear house extension cost in London and Hertfordshire areas is between £45,000.00 to £75,000.00 on average.
Rear house extension cost would hugely be dependent on what the rear house extension is going to be the size of the rear extension, ground conditions, structural specifications, party wall conditions, materials used, location, the finishing, labour and materials required, preparation work, existing building or land and obstacles and much more.
In name you can TRUST
Over 16 years of Architecture and Construction experience
At Nuhous we are loft conversion experts a specialist loft company. We are also house extension builders a specialist in the field. With our in-house architectural design and construction team we deliver high quality loft conversions and house extensions across London and Hertfordshire areas. you can be rest assured we will start from design and planning stages to construction and finishing stages.
Free no obligation quote
We will provide you with the free quote for your loft conversion or house extension project, we also have have a price match, if you have found a cheaper quote come back to us and we will match it! Terms and conditions apply.
Professional and Expert advice
10 year guarantee
Inhouse architecture and construction
Expert loft conversion company
From this point you can get a free quote from us, get free advice about your loft conversion, home extension, new build, give us a follow on social media just search "nuhous" to stay up to date with our news
You can speak to us about your loft conversion or house extension project over the phone. Book your free 30 minute consultation.
Get a free quote
Get a free quote for your project, design and build loft conversions or house extensions. Fully detailed quotes available.
Find out about planning permission, building regulations or our blog and news about home style and living.
Looking to spread your cost with monthly payments? Our partners might be able to help with finance options.